Cover of steel department trade catalogue of Ibbotson Brothers and Company Limited, manufacturers of steel, saws, files, springs, bolts and nuts, Globe Works, Penistone Road, 1928
Original at Sheffield City Archives ref. LD1145/3/2 (altrefno LD1155/6)Ibbotson Brothers and Company Limited was founded by William Ibbotson in Bridge Street, Sheffield in 1809. In 1821, then known as Ibbotson and Roebuck, it was at Bower Spring and by 1825 it was established at The Globe Works in Penistone Road.In a directory of 1828 it is listed as Ibbotson Brothers, steel converters and refiners, merchants, and manufacturers of stove grates, fenders, saws, files, scythes, edge tools etc. In 1846 the Ibbotsons were bankrupt but William Ibbotson re-established the Globe Works at Cross Smithfield and by 1862 the works were at Russell Street (later named Alma Street) where they flourished.In 1939 the firm was taken over by Jonas Woodhead and Sons Limited of Leeds but the name was preserved until 1971 when the whole of the Globe Steel Works became merged in Woodhead Components Limited.
© Sheffield City Council